A Detailed History

Page 3—Restoration & Reordering

From a postcard before the 1927 restoration. Chatterton

During some essential restoration in 1927 the oak panelling was installed at the east end together with the pictorial stained glass in the east window. Further stained glass was installed on the sides of the building, giving the rather unusual windows commemorating William Tyndale, Thomas Cranmer, Charles Wesley and John Bunyan, the last one being completed after 1945. These windows were designed by the notable artist, Arnold Wathen Robinson.

Tyndale window (detail)Cranmer window (detail)
Wesley window (detail)Bunyan window (detail)

During Mr Short’s time (1953–74) the St Matthew’s Mission Hall in Dalton Square was demolished to make way for redevelopment in that part of the Parish, and the Parish Hall at the end of Cotham Road South was sold. Although used for Sunday School and other activities, it had been large and difficult to maintain. The proceeds from the sale were used to convert the west end of the church building, under the gallery, into a church hall for parish activities and functions.

The interior prior to the 1989 reordering

In 1989, following the amalgamation of the two parishes and the redundancy of St Nathanæl’s Church, St Matthew’s was further redeveloped, the funds coming from both the sale of the St Nathanæl’s building and money raised by the congregation. The redevelopment consisted of the addition of a floor at gallery level, accessed by a new broad stairway, making an open worship area above and a hall below. A parish office, crèche, chapel and Sunday School rooms were also added. The redevelopment cost was £360,000.

Pages: 1 2 3 4